Shadow Glen Family Stables is pleased to offer scenic one-hour and two-hour western trail rides along the American River at Lake Natoma. All horseback rides are fully guided by wranglers knowledgeable of the area you'll be riding through. Some of the wildlife you may encounter include Mule Deer, North American Coyote, Black-Tail Jackrabbit, Western Gray and Douglas Squirrel, Turkey Vultures, and Red-tailed Hawk.
You will also see Nimbus Dam, evidence of the historic mining done from this portion of the American River, native plants, trees, wildlife and waterfowl. The scenery in our area is beautiful and varied. Some portions are in full sun and others are more treed and shaded. This is not a flat ride through a pasture; you will get to go up and down hills and through the trees.
Reservations are required. We strongly recommend making reservations at least 24 hours in advance. Reservations must be made by phone or in person. We do not accept reservations by e-mail. We rarely have same-day rides available, but it does happen from time to time. Please call us to inquire about scheduling your ride.
Rides may be canceled (or rescheduled) due to high temperatures, heavy rain and/or heavy wind – riders will be notified the morning of the ride if it is going to be canceled. Riders are not financially responsible for the ride in the event the ride is canceled by Shadow Glen Family Stables.
- One hour horseback rides are $38.00 per person
- Two hour horseback rides are $76.00 per person (subject to availability due to trail conditions; please call for available times, children must be at least 11 to do a 2 hour ride, prior experience is strongly recommended)
- Longer rides may be available during Fall, Winter and early Spring by special arrangement (inquire at office – for experienced riders only)
- Our "Introduction to Horses" package is $70.00 per person:
This package is for the person looking for a complete horse experience! This is your opportunity to learn how cowboys and cowgirls take care of their horses and equipment in preparation to ride in addition to taking a beautiful, scenic trail through a historically and ecologically significant area. This session includes an experience with grooming and saddling and a scenic trail ride through a portion of the The Gold Fields District of the California State Parks. Your ride will go out to the American River at Lake Natoma and return past some of the lagoons that feed the lake and river. Knowledgeable and friendly guides offer information about the area, surrounding wildlife, vegetation and horses. Minimum of 2 people per session, maximum of 6 per session. Please call for available times.
Total experience time is between 90 – 110 minutes. (30 – 40 minutes of learning about grooming, saddling and general horse care, and 60 – 70 minutes of riding the trails of the California State Park.)
- 9:00 am
- 10:30 am
- 12:00 noon
- 1:30 pm
- 3:00 pm
Expectations For Riders
- Children must be at least 8 years old to ride – no exceptions.
- Riders must weigh under 230 pounds – no exceptions.
- Riders must wear closed toed shoes that either lace up or are boots (no crocs, clogs, slip on shoes, or UGG “boots” - sorry, UGGs are slippers, not boots)
- Riders must wear long pants.
- ALL riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet. (Provided - no cost)
- ALL riders are encouraged to wear a helmet. (Provided - no cost)
- We do require reservations for rides so please call ahead.
- For the safety of our horses, ALL rides are canceled when the temperature reaches 100°.